#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Tomorrow night PBS is airing a documentary titled "[T]error" that I reviewed last October. From my review:

At the beginning of the film director Lyric Cabral (an African-American woman who co-directed with David Sutcliffe, who is white) reveals that after she met Sharif the paid informant under circumstances that are not detailed he agreed to be filmed. Given his background, one might suspect that he could make some money out of the project.

Sharif is like many people who become snitches. When he was arrested for robbing token booths in 1987, the cops made him an offer that he probably couldn’t refuse. After they discovered that he had been a member of the Black Panther Party in the early 70s and was a practicing Muslim, he was offered a deal. Early release from prison in exchange for entrapping Muslim radicals, including one Tariq Shah, a Harlem-based jazz musician and martial arts instructor who used to work with Betty Carter and Ahmad Jamal. He is now in prison serving a 15-year term for supposedly telling Sharif that he was willing to train al-Qaeda members in hand-to-hand combat. For his part in setting Tariq Shah up, Sharif was paid handsomely.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2015/10/09/four-new-films/

As it turns out, there is an article in today's NY Times Magazine section about the documentary that unfortunately leaves out the crucial information that the cops twisted Sharif's arm to become a snitch.

In any case, the article is worth reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/magazine/the-informant-and-the-filmmakers.html

Also, if the film becomes available on the PBS website, I will post a link to it.