#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

>  Any time such a state is overthrown, the people have a lot of work to do to
> get things right again.
> It doesn't matter if an imperialist invasion did it or the people did it
> themselves. The task of rebuilding remains. That is how Iraq is like Libya
> but the solution is not to maintain these brutal dictatorships.

Clay, I recommend you read Anand Gopal’s book, No Good Men Among the Living. He
shows how the U.S. intervention in Afghanistan in late 2001 shattered the
Taliban and sent them back to their villagers, vowing never to fight again. Yet
within a few years, the Taliban had regrouped and come back. Why? Because the
“men with guns” that the U.S. maintained in power were political strongmen with
personal armies who were even more corrupt, brutal and misogynist than the
Taliban, who had set the bar pretty high for those qualities.

The U.S. is not in the business of creating more humane and egalitarian
societies. It’s in the business of maintaining power by allying with men who
know who to use extreme force to maintain stability. The “imperialist invasion”
does not make it any easier to “rebuild” — it just substitutes one form of
brutal rule for another.

> You are all worthless and weak.

Thanks, I had forgotten that.

Glenn