#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/05/25/speech-by-conservative-speaker-milo-yiannopoulos-shut-down-by-protesters-at-depaul-police-and-security-dont-intervene/

For those who aren't aware of who Milo Yiannopoulos is, he is one of the
younger far-right voices from the Breitbart circuit. He goes to college
campuses and college liberal events (like "Slutwalk") and basically
lampoons the people there. Like a crusty, unfunny, right-wing version of
Max Blumenthal, but unintelligent and with no actual substance or content
to back up his funnier gags.

He showed up at DePaul, the same place that denied Norman Finkelstein
tenure for his support for the Palestinians, and apparently some of the
students did not take kindly to his hateful speech.

I always cringe a little bit when authors like this one invoke the memory
of people who died in World War II to malign domestic social movements. For
one thing, the people who died at Normandy died during the final stages of
a war that the United States had entered after millions of Russian soldiers
had already died preventing the expansion of fascism. Moreover, US soldiers
die because they are ordered to invade other countries; not for any kind of
lofty ideals. So invoking the memory of those who die in US wars as though
they were fighting specifically *for* freedom of speech, let alone the
freedom of speech of right-wing agitators in the United States, is little
more than a whitewash of US foreign policy.

And moreover, I wonder what the author would make of the laws that exist in
Normandy itself designed to prevent people like Milo Yiannopoulos and his
ilk from making racist and demeaning statements about marginalized groups
of people, precisely to prevent the rise of fascism?

In my younger days as a volunteer at the ACLU, I thought it was very lofty
to see liberals defending the freedom of speech of the KKK, the Nazis, and
so on. But nowadays I feel differently. "Freedom of speech" is simply the
category that is used to validate and protect those ideas that manage to
seep through the institutional barriers that prevent marginalized groups
from influencing discourse. I could care less about protecting such
opinions expect possibly as a strategic matter to prevent left-wing
opinions from being suppressed in the same spaces, as happened at DePaul.

- Amith