#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Working my way through Mark Lause's fascinating "Free Labor", I am surprised by two things. First is the massive strike wave that took place throughout the Civil War and the flowering of trade unions in both the south and north. All this without the New Deal Wagner Act that legitimized trade unions, nor a dues check-off system. When workers are ready to fight, they don't need a license.

Second is the liberation of New Orleans in 1862. I had no idea that the Union achieved such a victory so early. Plus, the history of New Orleans with its mixed racial and class dynamics would be subject for a book by itself. I might put that on my reading list with the other 12 books I have lined up.