#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Yes of course the opposite was true. Even sillier from this bit of the article is the reference to these Libyan weapons getting to ISIS (with or without the imaginary US connivance). Because people who know stuff know there was no such thing as ISIS in 2012, in Syria, or anywhere. It was invented the following year. But of course that's only factual information, which presumably doesn't matter to certain forms of dialectics.

But anyway. There are a number of stock phrases that have to be learnt by Assadists or plague-on-both-housists. One of them is this story about the Libyan weapons flow.

OK, so since the bugbear is supposedly opposition to all imperialist intervention in all forms always, let's do a little test. We know some of the parties involved in the arms pipeline from post-Gaddafi Libya to the Syrian rebels in 2012: former Libyan rebels now in control of regime stocks, Qatar, MB networks, and Turkey, from where the weapons were delivered to some rebel groups. And the US, via the CIA, whose role, according to myriad sources, consisted of strangling the quantity of weapons getting through to anyone, stringently vetting which groups could get any at all, and above all ensuring that no anti-tank or anti-aircraft missiles - ie what the rebels needed - got through to anyone at all.

So let's be anti-imperialists. Regardless of the motivations of those regional forces, regardless of our view on them politically, we oppose all intervention by US (and other) imperialism. So let's now remove the US/CIA from the equation. Imagine our demands that they get out of the Mideast were successful. The operation thus continued with the above participants, but without US imperialism. Good. I'm in favour of that.

a. What would this withdrawal have meant in terms of the volume and quality of the weaponry delivered to the rebels?

b. Given the answer to a. is obvious, are you still in favour of this US withdrawal? I am, of course.

-----Original Message----- From: Louis Proyect via Marxism

They turned over
Libyan weapons to [Islamic State], al-Qaida and [Nusra Front].

In fact the opposite is true.

Wall Street Journal, October 17, 2012:

In July, the U.S. effectively halted the delivery of at least 18 Manpads
sourced from Libya, even as the rebels pleaded for more effective
antiaircraft missiles to counter regime airstrikes in Aleppo, people
familiar with that delivery said.