#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I sincerely admire Horne's productivity and much of his work, but you can
pay for too much haste.

A fuller refutation would require a small volume in itself.  Much of it
would be a repeat of what Herbert Aptheker and others have written about
the subject, though I would make a somewhat different approach in one key
respect.  A bit of googling in the Marxist Internet Archives, as well as
generally, will provide statements and restatements of it.

But my objection doesn't rest on the authority of tradition.  It just
doesn't make sense to think that we can separate the ideology and values
generalized among a colonial people from those imposed by the colonizer.
White supremacy was part and parcel of the rationale imposed on the
colonies from the beginning, not something that the colonists conjured
independently. Again, revolutions are complex processes and people have
different motives, but anyone asserting that the colonists in general
wanted independence because imperial Britain was about to eliminate slavery
has a heavy burden of proof, and I've not seen anybody make it.  (It's like
saying that Vietnam was struggling to get out from under the U.S. out of
fear that it would actually pass the Equal Rights Amendment.)

I think the classic Marxist analysis of what a bourgeois revolution is
explains why they did not act consistently against slavery.  You certainly
can make the case that slavery was placed on the path to destruction in
North America after 1776.  And, yes, history took its own sweet time in
this.  And, yes, I don't like it.  But back to that expression "bourgeois
revolution."  Note the adjective.

Now, as to that one key respect on which I'm not comfortable with the
standard Marxist approach to the American Revolution . . . the fate of
native Americans.  Simply put, the British, for reasons of their own that
mimicked the earlier pragmatism of the French, sought to restrict
Euroamerican expansion and ethnic cleansing.  The trend after 1776 deepened
the worst aspects of this.  But, of course, what did the English Revolution
do for the Irish . . . or pretty much anyone who wasn't English?

Again, back to that expression "bourgeois revolution" . . . .

ML