#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Is the presidential election about personalities or policies?

For more than a generation neoliberal policies - in both Republican and
Democrat administrations - have produced increasing inequality (and at an
accelerating rate). At the same time neoconservative policies - again in
administrations of both parties - produced the crime of the century (so far),
the invasion of Iraq, and also the first US president to be at war throughout
two presidential terms. (Obama has attacked eight countries; Bush only attacked
six.)

Trump is the first candidate of either major party in more than a generation to
pay homage neither to neoliberalism nor to neoconservatism. He has rejected
neoliberal policies (trade pacts, from NAFTA to TTIP) and neoconservative ones
(Nato; provocation of Russia) as well. For that reason he is hated and feared
by the political establishment (in both parties).

“The CIA has demanded Trump is not elected. Pentagon generals have demanded he
is not elected. The pro-war New York Times - taking a breather from its
relentless low-rent Putin smears - demands that he is not elected. Something is
up. These tribunes of 'perpetual war' are terrified that the
multi-billion-dollar business of war by which the United States maintains its
dominance will be undermined if Trump does a deal with Putin, then with China's
Xi Jinping. Their panic at the possibility of the world's great power talking
peace - however unlikely - would be the blackest farce were the issues not so
dire.” [John Pilger]

Clinton champions neoconservatism and neoliberalism but can say so only
indirectly because those policies - more war and more inequality - are not
popular. Therefore she must try to distract the public from the policies that
she would follow in office by directing attention to Trump's less than
attractive personality. But there are indications that it's not working, as her
lead in the polls shrinks, in spite of her overwhelming support from the media.

As William Blum (author of “Killing Hope: U.S. Military and C.I.A.
Interventions Since World War II") says, “Yes, Trump’s personally obnoxious.
I’d have a very hard time being his friend. Who cares?”

—CGE