#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

However, the use of uneven and combined development in "How the West Came to Rule" also requires that we ask some challenging questions of ourselves. If we are to dismantle the methodological apparatus of the ‘dominant wisdom’ that has been such a central feature of the social sciences over the course of its modern history, what are we to replace it with? This is not to get bogged down into philosophical principles and/or formal methods in the belief that they automatically ensure the veracity of our analysis. Instead, it is to deepen our enquiry into what the terms employed in the text mean and how they support the aim of incorporating ‘the international’ into our causal explanations.

full: http://ppesydney.net/uneven-combined-development-challenging-dominant-wisdom/