#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Just watched a segment on "60 Minutes" that was positively Orwellian. It was about steps that the USA was taking to refurbish its nuclear strike force, especially putting fins on the B-61 bunker buster that can be dialed to deliver from .3 to 340 kilotons, just like a volume control on your remote. They interviewed a crew of scumbag military officers defending Obama's escalation, all with the intention of making it sound as if the USA was doing it because of Putin's saber-rattling. I hate Putin but the fact is that Russia has signed a no-first strike pledge while Obama just refused to do so.

The most horrifically surreal interview was with a guy named David Shlapak from the RAND Corporation who had directed a series of war games commissioned by the Pentagon in which Russia invaded the Baltic states of Estonia and Latvia. This would be an ideal battleground to use B-61's if you take Shlapak at his word.

But what I couldn't get my eyes off of was the two earrings he had in his left ear and the one he had on his right, looking for all the world like an art gallery director. I said to myself that whatever life-style changes the 60s induced could hardly seem more irrelevant to its deeper goals. Maybe Shlapak had a tattoo on his ass. So did Goering for all I know.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-risk-of-nuclear-attack-rises/