#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I have been reading on Levinas and I may yet get around to a post on his
work.  An essay on the Levinasian face in literature contained a link to
Tadeusz Borowski's short story *This way for the gas, ladies and gentlemen*
https://cc136.k12.sd.us/thiswayforgasstory.pdf
 I followed the link and read this passage where Borowski describes the
unloading of the trains into Auschwitz.

*We climb inside. In the corners amid human excrement and abandoned
wrist‐watches lie squashed, trampled infants, naked little monsters with
enormous heads and bloated bellies. We carry them out like chickens,
holding several in each hand.*
The character in the story tries to get the women to take the children but
they run away in horror.  An SS oficer makes to shoot the man carrying the
children. Then a woman comes and takes the children.  Borowski writes

* You mustn't shoot, I'll carry them." A tall, grey‐haired woman takes the
little corpses out of my hands and for an instant gazes straight into my
eyes."My poor boy," she whispers and smiles at me. Then she walks away,
staggering along the path. I lean against the side of the train. I am
terribly tired.*
This is the moment of redemption.  The woman has look into the narrator's
face and in Levinasian terms seen as the trace of G-d.

The analysis is elegant and as always when I encounter faith and decency
bound together, I wish it were so.   But that is not why I am writing about
my encounter with Borowski.  Reading the story I was filled with a burning
hatred for the far right.  That I have lived long enough to see the filth
make a come back fills me with rage. How could over 40% of Austrians have
voted for a Far Rightist?  How could a piece of dirt like Trump be elected
to the White House? What is wrong with people?

Listers should be advised that these questions are more rhetorical
venting.  I know, I know but I am still horrified.

comradely

Gary