#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Dear members and friends of the Catskills Institute

I am sorry to inform you of the death at 97 of Henry Foner on January 11, 2017, my friend and a friend to so many of us.

Henry was a longtime stalwart of the Catskills Institute, offering us a tremendous amount of his time, creativity, and materials. Henry spoke many times at our History of the Catskills Conferences. In 1997 he spoke on "From the Bandstand: Stories from a Catskill Musician, " in 1999 on “The History of Leftist Politics in the Catskills,” in 2000 on “Chester’s Zunbarg: A Focal Point of Progressive Culture in the Catskills” (with Larry Rifkin), in 2003 on "Ain't No Mountain High: Hoop Dreams in the Borscht Belt" (on Catskills summer basketball, with Joe Dorinson), and in 2004 on “The Luxurious Left: A History of White Lake Lodge” (commenting on Rachel Kranson presentation that derived from research she and I did on the Fur Workers' Resort, with Henry' enormous support).

Jeff Gold of Creative Seminars recorded these talks and they are available at http://cstapes.com/

Henry wrote out the 199 talk, “The History of Leftist Politics in the Catskills," which is attached.

Henry spoke beautifully, with great humor, full of wonderful narratives and details of the many topics he knew about. Henry brought other friends to the History of the Catskills Conference and told everyone he know about our work. My family and I always enjoyed the time we spent with him at the conferences and I had the great pleasure of lots of email in between.

Based on his Catskills talk on his musical career, Henry published in 2015 in Jewish Currents "From the Bandstand: The Odyssey of a Catskill Resort Musician," which can be found at:

http://jewishcurrents.org/from-the-bandstand-the-odyssey-of-a-catskills-resort-musician/

If you were on his email list, you got his clever poetry, which you can read in "For Better or Verse: Songs and Poems by Henry Foner," published by Jewish Currents. See:

http://jewishcurrents.bigcartel.com/product/for-better-or-verse-songs-and-poems-by-henry-foner

Henry published his autobiography in sections, sent to his email list, and hopefully that will be published in a more complete form.

Henry wrote a song "Shoot the Strudel to me, Yudel," in honor of Yudel Slutsky, owner of the Arrowhead Lodge in Ellenville, where his band played. Attached are words and music to the song, as well as photos of Henry singing it with Joe Dorinson at the History of the Catskills Conference, Henry presenting with Rachel Kranson at the History of the Catskills Conference,and two photos of Henry's band "Suspended Swing" with Henry on sax - one at Arrowhead and the other at the Fur Workers' Resort.

see the NYT obituary here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/nyregion/obituary-henry-j-foner-liberal-party-union-leader.html?_r=0

I will really miss Henry

Olev Hasholem

--
Phil Brown -  President, The Catskills Institute

University Distinguished Professor of Sociology and Health Sciences
Director, Social Science Environmental Health Research Institute
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue, 318INV
Boston, MA  02115
617 373-7407