#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The review of the book about what happened in Janesville, Wisconsin after the
GM plant closed is interesting. When I quit teaching and took to the road,
Janesville was where we spent our first night, on the way to work at
Yellowstone National Park.

We knew about what the author of the book describes a long time ago, during the
1980s in Johnstown, PA and other factory towns in the Rust Belt. Studies then,
one of which I helped with, showed that retraining of laid off workers was a
dead end. I used to teach a good many of them. And the social consequences of
plant closings were readily apparent. During the 1990s I taught auto workers at
a GM plant near Pittsburgh. Some were far from home, like some men in
Janesville, working at other GM plants, as their contract gave them the right
to do. I heard some awful stories. Suicides, illness, family troubles, not to
mention that some were working 7-day weeks and 12 hour days, to earn enough
money to get through the next disaster. Some had suffered multiple plant
closings.

When economic catastrophes occur, lives and communities are shattered. Bad
things happen, and they get worse for the next generation. Drugs, crime, you
name it. Then the economy improves and the media, capitalists, and public
officials sing the praises of the resilience of the free market economy. But
underneath the surface, hidden from most of us, is extreme human misery. We act
as if what happened didn't happen. Oh well, we say, life goes on.