#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The Saleh Muslim quote comes from a 2013 interview.  My interpretation is that
he was arguing for peace negotiations in which Assad would participate.  Saleh
Muslim was arguing that Assad's participation was necessary because he had the
support of the Alawis.

The reference to two million deaths was exaggerated, but Muslim was trying to
highlight the danger of a massacre in the event of a military victory by the
rebels.  We should remember that the rebels included highly sectarian groups
such as Jabhat al-Nusra, as well as other people who understandably wanted
revenge.

Chris Slee