#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Louis linked a NYT article that discusses the loss of retail jobs, with a focus
on Johnstown, PA, where as Louis notes, I worked and lived for many years. This
town, which went overwhelmingly for Trump, is in desperate straights. Murders
and drug overdoses have become commonplace, and the town keeps losing people as
it deteriorates. The poor fellow the town hired to help revitalize the place,
one Donald Bonk, whose family owned a corner grocery store there for 40 years,
is truly delusional, thinking that there is any hope for the place. And one of
Trump's top advisers, a jackass name Stephen Miller, seems to believe that the
city's best days are ahead of it. His grandparents founded what was once a
prosperous department store, Glossers, as well as a chain called Gee Bee. All
gone now. Pretty much everything is gone. First the steel mills, then the pork
barrel enterprises the late local congressman John Murtha schemed to get to
come the area (Pelosi is a Murtha protege, not a mark in
 her favor). Now retail is going.  When I moved there, in 1969 there were
almost as many steelworkers as there are people now. How the college where I
taught is still in business is a mystery. No doubt by taking anybody who ca
breathe!