#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Andrew:

is there any reason to believe that the database calculations used for amazon/whole-foods would in any way be useful for in-kind calculations based on physical, non-monetary variables?

i'd be curious myself to see what can be learned about Amazon/WF logistics and algorithms, but i have this funny feeling their whole computational flow is based on lowest cost or highest profit to amazon, with delivery time as secondary factor. i also doubt we will see actual algorithms in use save for what they are willing to put into patents or academic papers.

a little googling to get a sense of the big picture and a place to start.

logistics:

http://logisticstrendsandinsights.com/the-focal-point-of-amazons-logistics-network-fulfillment-by-amazon/

  https://logistics.amazon.com/   (distributed transport/delivery)

  https://ilsr.org/amazon-logistics-map/

  http://www.mwpvl.com/html/amazon_com.html

https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/29/is-logistics-about-to-get-amazoned/

jobs:

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/328931/web-development-engineer-ii,-amazon-logistics-technology/job?mobile=true&needsRedirect=false

algorithms (some pieces are known, somewhat):

   https://www.a9.com/whatwedo/product-search/

http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/2016/04/mythbusting-the-amazon-algorithm-reviews-and-ranking-for-authors/

https://theconversation.com/algorithms-can-be-more-fair-than-humans-64047

https://www.fastcompany.com/3060803/algorithmic-pricing-is-creating-an-arms-race-on-amazons-marketplace