#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Interesting critique of James Scott's "Against the Grain" that blames farming for all the ills that followed the creation of class society and the state. Not having read the book but being somewhat familiar with the thesis, it fails to address the question of how we move forward to a better world. Clearly, hunting-and-gathering will not work. However, the primitive communism that existed for millennia prior to class society suggests that a "moral society" is possible. That "moral society" will be built on the technology that capitalism created. With the genie out of the bottle, we have no other recourse except to make him work for us rather than the ruling class.

https://www.thenation.com/article/barbarian-virtues/