#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Sorry to distract from who makes Israeli couscous or the pros and cons of
the comic-flick film "Wonder Women" (I liked it precisely because it was a
2 dimensional action film with lots of cartoon violence, or as someone
noted on Louis' blog: A) it was a movie. B) it was a movie...).

*The Foreigner*, (which opened on Friday) staring stunt & action figure
Jackie Chan, was an interesting experiment into anti-IRA politics. WTF?
Yeah. Exactly. As the NYT reviewer noted:  "The movie is based on the novel*
The Chinaman,* by Stephen Leather, whose I.R.A.-heavy plot may have made
sense when it was written in 1992." Exactly right. It seemed to come out of
PR dept. of the Democratic Unionist Party as a hit, *personally*, on Gerry
Adams of the Sinn Féin. This is played by the protagonist, Pierce Brosnan,
to the Chan character whose daughter is blown up in a bombing in Central
London by a resurgent I.R.A. fraction intent on sinking the Peace Accord.
The plot of the film is that no one fron Sinn Féin can ever be trusted
since they all have tons of weapons and simtex stashed away to restart the
war against the British.

The aging Chan character seeks revenge on anyone and everyone associated
with the I.R.A and Sinn Féin. He is a former Chinese emigre to Vietnam who
trains with the US special forces and then "escapes" Vietnam to settle in
London with his only, and now dead, daughter.

It's a little surprising this anti-Communist character is the start of this
a-historical fantasy. I say this because it was produced by the Beijing
production company Huayi Brothers. I would of thought it would of been a
no-no for this to happen. As it happens, Chan is a producer of this
production. He does *some* stunt work here but it is not his usual though
there several, relatively more demur Jackie Chan fight scenes for the fans.

I would say skip this unless you *have to see it* because JC is in it.

David