#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The contributors to *Know Your Place* don’t seem confident in that older
definition of entitlement. They have little sense of agency or the ability
to resist change or improve their circumstances big and small. I think this
reflects a generational shift: many of the contributors to the collection
are relatively young, most, I think, in their twenties or thirties. Apart
from making me feel old, this generation gap illustrates just how many
working-class people now feel isolated. Unlike the men I worked with, who
expected their lives to improve, these younger people have only experienced
things being taken away or eroded overtime. They don’t have the positive
experiences of class, what I describe as the ‘hidden rewards of class’.
They have little hope that things could improve or that welfare policies
and tax regimes could begin to benefit the less well-off in society.

https://workingclassstudies.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/know-your-place-a-new-generation-of-working-class-voices/