#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

" The emphasis on voting for Democrats disturbed me. This movement could
easily be co-opted by the neoliberal core of the Democratic Party power
establishment–and people who can’t imagine anything nicer than Joe Biden in
the White House "

I find that statement rather odd. I perceived the event as a
Democratic-party-aligned movement from the start, so I don't think it
counts as "co-optation". Just consider how much more difficult it was to
mobilize such large crowds, celebrity endorsements, or positive media
coverage for similarly-sized antiwar marches or even the Black Lives Matter
movement (which often involved similar issues, such as the use of a gun by
a paranoid right-wing rent-a-cop who stalked and killed Trayvon Martin).
From the beginning it was effectively unlatched from issues of race,
internationalism, or class. All of those things suggest that it is designed
to be a single-issue initiative for a highly partisan (as in party-related)
issue.

So even if there are people who support gun control that are not linked to
the Democratic Party apparatus, it doesn't seem like they were the ones
leading this event. My $0.02.

Amith R. Gupta