#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This Friday, an extraordinary film titled “Lou Andreas-Salome – The Audacity To Be Free” opens at the Village East Cinema in NYC (schedule info here). I had the good fortune to see the film at the Socially Relevant Film Festival last month and posted a review of the film on CounterPunch that is reproduced below. I also took part in a Q&A with the director that helped me understand the labor of love that went into it. Cordula Kablitz-Post, the 54 year old director, first came across a biography of Lou Andreas-Salome 37 years ago and was struck by the fierce independence of a woman who defied patriarchy in all its manifestations. She began research on the film 8 years ago and her ability to recreate the social world of young bohemian philosophers like Frederich Nietzsche and his friend Paul Rée is a feat in of itself. But, as I pointed out to her in the Q&A, she also had the ability to breathe life into these characters and make their struggles as palpably real as if they were 1960s cultural rebels rather than obscure historical figures. The film succeeds in the same way that “The Young Karl Marx” succeeds by making post-Hegelian revolutionaries come alive. If I were to pick only two narrative films to see this year, it would be those two.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/04/18/lou-andreas-salome-the-audacity-to-be-free/