#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Given the prodigious amount of research that went into that book, one would
think that Pinker would have done a better job with it.

A couple of points:

Steven Pinker writes as a defender of the Enlightenment heritage. One would
think that given this objective, he would have dug more deeply into the
intellectual history of the Enlightenment. But that was something that he did
not do. For example, I'm not sure that I agree with Pinker's classification of
Rousseau as a counter-Enlightenment thinker. I think that by doing so, it makes
it easy to paper over the fact that the Enlightenment was not a monolith. That
it was full of contradictions, which still exist to this day. I think it is a
mistake to conflate Romanticism with the counter-Enlightenment, even though
there was a good deal of overlap between the two. Jean-Jacques Rousseau was
certainly a Romantic thinker but he was at the same time an Enlightenment
thinker, and I think one can classify him as being a counter-Enlightenment
thinker with a certain measure of trepidation. (BTW there is a decent
discussion on the classification of Rousseau here:
https://www.iep.utm.edu/rousseau/)
There are other Romantic writers who can be clearly classified as having been
Enlightenment thinkers such as the poet Percy Shelley. He is generally
classified as being a Romantic poet but he was almost certainly an
Enlightenment thinker too, as reflected in such writings as his essay, The
Necessity of Atheism, for which he was sent down from Oxford, and his poem,
Queen Mab.

All this complicates things for Pinker because Immanuel Kant, who is cited by
Pinker as one of his exemplary Enlightenment thinkers, was very much an admirer
of Rousseau. And just to complicate things a little further, intellectual
historians and other commentators have debated whether Kant should be
classified as an Enlightenment or as a counter-Enlightenment thinker too.

IPinker has a discussion of social Darwinism that I found to be unsatisfactory.
Pinker complains that the term is too widely used such that it has become
meaningless. He seems to blame Richard Hofstadter's book, Social Darwinism in
American Thought, 1860–1915 for this. He also pins blame on Stephen Jay Gould
as well. Pinker seems to think that the only genuine form of social Darwinism
was the kind that stemmed from the work of Herbert Spencer and his followers.
Pinker takes some pains to show that Spencer's thinking about evolution was not
Darwinian, but was very much Lamarckian. He also emphasizes that Spencer's
thought was basically libertarian in character and that Spencer was an opponent
of imperialism and eugenics. Hence, in Pinker's view, it's illegitimate to tie
social Darwinism with other right-wing ideas .

What Pinker's discussion fails to take into account is that there were indeed
other forms of social Darwinism around in the late 19th and early 20th
centuries besides Spencer's. The German biologist Ernst Haeckel, the man who
introduced and popularized Darwinism in Germany, was also the proponent of his
own brand of social Darwinism. And his variety of social Darwinism was indeed
less individualistic than Spencer's, placing emphasis of the struggle for
existence between competing nations and races. Haeckel was politically an avid
supporter of Otto von Bismarck. He was himself a staunch German nationalist and
he attempted to use his work in evolutionary biology to lend support to his
political beliefs including his embracing of "scientific racism." Pinker says
nothing at all about Haeckel. His name does not even appear in the book's
index. And yet, Haeckel's brand of social Darwinism was at least as well known
as Spencer's and nearly as influential.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Haeckel

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant