#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 8/15/18 11:29 PM, Ralph Johansen via Marxism wrote:

We've been down this path before. Brenner's focus is on how capitalism ORIGINATED, its speciated emergence and conception in a form and in conditions which without human design or intention produced it as the dominant form of production; in a specific form and locale, as a specific form of the organization of production, and not in all the forms of accumulation which contributed to these origins and their development in all sorts of places around the globe.

I know how Brenner makes his case. I have written about lease farming and all that stuff here:

https://louisproyect.org/2007/06/12/british-farming-resisted-mechanization-until-the-1850s/

https://louisproyect.org/2007/06/21/british-farming-and-market-imperatives/

https://louisproyect.org/2016/01/27/town-and-tawney/

https://louisproyect.org/2007/07/04/turnips-and-the-transition-to-capitalism/

https://louisproyect.org/2007/07/05/more-on-the-turnip/

But to repeat. Dimmock claims that Marx himself was a Political Marxist. I find it deeply problematic that he does not point to the passages in Capital and Grundrisse that comes close to Brenner's analysis. The omissions are striking, not just about slavery, etc. But about the role of merchant capital (East India Company.) Brenner's thesis is nakedly Eurocentric, Anglocentric actually. As if lease farming in the 15th century led inexorably to the sun never setting on the British Empire.