#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Howe's legacy is not insubstantial - just from the founding of Dissent back in
the 1950s.  That journal has long been a leading voice of voices associated
with DSA.  Whether or not it is now eclipsed by Jacobin is a legitimate
question.

More important was Howe's role on shaping DSA's perspective on international
matters.  Yes, he was a zionist but he was also a cold warrior.  Toward the end
of his life, he supported the Gulf War of 1991. Not all DSA leaders shared his
precise views on that point, but he certainly influenced them. Harold Myerson
comes to mind. In 1991 he was a columnist for the Los Angeles Weekly and a DSA
member. Myerson devoted a better part of a column of his to red baiting the
main local and regional anti-war coalition, attacking it as being led by a
bunch of Trots. Those attacks led to the creation of a rival coalition. The war
ended before the new coalition did much of anything.

Whether or not the current DSA inherits the foreign policy views of Howe is -
hopefully - doubtful because of the huge influx of new, younger members and the
change of the group's character from a small largely paper organization to a
much larger activist grouping. Given all that, the current DSA is more likely
to be influenced by the politics of Bernie Sanders and less by Harrington and
Howe. While that is problematic on its own terms, it is not addressed by
dredging up the history of Shachtman, Harrington and the Coalition Caucus.  SR