#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hello, Professor Drweski. My name is Maria Cernat. I am a feminist, an academic and a journalist writing for Baricada.org. I am a lecturer at the Communication Sciences and International Relations Department, Titu Maiorescu University. I was very curious, and I am sure our readers are too, about the situation in France. I have a few questions that I hope you could answer for our readers.

Q: How would you describe the current protests taking place in France from an ideological point of view? Are they an expression of a class struggle?

A: Objectively, it is certainly a class struggle since it is a protest of people from the working class and lower middle classes against inequality and the leading elites. But it started mainly in the peripheral regions of France, which have been marginalized by almost thirty years of neo-liberal and European Union policies. Though according to the polls this protest is supported by 70% to 80% of the French population, its core is concentrated around what we can call the depoliticized petite-bourgeoisie, which makes it sometimes appear “classless”. Large cities and their suburbs are less active in this movement than peripheral regions, and workers in local industries are more active than the ones from large industries. It is still a quite spontaneous movement, but nevertheless a class movement.

full: http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/yellow-vest-protests-in-france-an-extraordinary-political-school/