#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

In this article it's stated that 50% of white families in Mississippi owned
slaves around the time of the civil war. I find that hard to believe but
I'm sure there are people on this list who actually know, and I hope
they'll inform me. I did an internet query and quickly found that same
statistic repeated, but also challenged.

My recollection is that every person I've read who has written about
slavery in America has said that slaves were extremely expensive, on the
order of $800+ in 1860 dollars. So if 50% of Mississippi families owned
slaves, Mississippi must have been very rich, which I doubt.