#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

(Years ago, I was up at Bard for an alumni weekend and was sitting with a group of graduates and President Leon Botstein chatting about this and that. Somewhere along the line, I asked him (this was before our feud began) about the prospects of Bard graduates in a tough job market. He assured me that since Bard students were "entrepreneurial", they would have fewer problems than other grads. I see this cropping up with Hampshire College, a school very similar to Bard. The article is by Masha Gessen.)

In recent years, the language that Hampshire uses to describe itself has changed. (I noticed this in September, on a campus visit with my daughter, whom I was trying to convince to apply.) The word “entrepreneurship” began cropping up. On its Web site, the college listed entrepreneurship as one of five key characteristics of the community envisioned by Hampshire—along with inquiry, creativity, social justice, and sustainability. It hired an entrepreneurship professor. To prospective students, the college boasted of the number of entrepreneurs among its graduates—more, it seemed to me, than of the number of activists, artists, and academics. Nelson, who took over as president in July of last year, earned her reputation as a social entrepreneur more than as an academic researcher or administrator. She is a nutritionist, a public-health and sustainability advocate, the force behind a best-selling, ten-book series on women’s health and wellness, and she speaks the upbeat, encapsulated language of doing good by doing well. Hampshire’s current predicament, for example, is conveyed on the college’s Web site as “Hampshire is evolving,” and the search for a solution is called the “Hampshire College Visioning Project.”

full: https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/hampshire-college-a-child-of-the-sixties-faces-its-visioning-problem