#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

thank you Louis --- I think one useful "takeaway" from how Duchesne's
colleagues at UNB responded is that it validated the old argument that the
best response to "BAD SPEECH" is not to suppress it but to counter it with
"GOOD SPEECH" ---

Having fellow academics remind people that what Duchesne was arguing was
BAD SCHOLARSHIP --- prejudice masquerading as scholarship -- was the right
approach.

In fact the existence of a creep like Duchesne on a campus becomes a
permanent "teachable moment" for those on the side of the angels ---

I have never understood why there is a desire to suppress so-called "hate
speech" -- though obviously calls for violence are criminal acts ---- best
to expose it and fight back strenuously against it!