#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I spent the day working, but had the impeachment trial going on in the
background and stopped regularly to follow it.  Our old expectation of the
American political system was that it was going to shed credibility its
functions became increasingly obvious.

What's striking to me about the present stage is that almost no sentient
observer can seriously muster much confidence in the entire process.

The virtual absence of an independent Left has been a tragic feature of our
politics for decades, but it has never been more painfully acute than it
now is.

Solidarity,
Mark L.