#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic (excerpts)
(from Detroit/Seattle Workers Voice list for March 18, 2020)

by Frank Arango, Seattle Workers' Voice

(full text at http://www.communistvoice.org/DSWV-200318.html)

As everyone knows, the novel coronavirus is sweeping the world. It can be
carried
by people who show no symptoms. There's no vaccine for it. And it's a killer.
..
while the responses of  governments around the world vary, the general response
to this global pandemic  has been that governments have acted too slowly and
haven't done enough.  Indeed, the spread of the coronavirus appears to be out
of
control in a large  number of countries, including the United States.

Lack of preparations
---------------------------------

* The CDC. For years WHO and others have been warning of pandemics caused
by new pathogens. But few countries have taken these warnings seriously,
particularly the United States. Indeed, while the Centers for Disease Control
and
Prevention (CDC) has a tiny budget of around $6 billion, Obama was already
squeezing it while he was president (1), and Trump has continued on this path.
In
February this year--in the midst of the growing coronavirus pandemic--he even
proposed a 9% cut in the CDC's funding for next year. But that's now history.

* Hospitals beds. Large numbers of people with COVID-19 have to be
hospitalized in serious or critical condition. But the U.S. only has 2.77
hospital
beds per 1000 people (number 32 in the world), whereas Italy has 3.18 beds per
1000 people, and Italy's hospitals have been overwhelmed! ...

* Test kits. The CDC's handling of testing has been a murderous scandal. It
should  have ordered crash production of large numbers to test kits in January,
but it  didn't. The Trump administration then refused the test kit offered by
the
World  Health Organization. Then, after weeks of delay, in February the CDC
sent
out a  flawed test kit. Moreover, during all this time local labs were
prohibited from
using  their own tests.  ...

In Seattle, Dr. Helen Chu and colleagues, bless them, eventually defied the CDC

prohibition and began testing. But had they been allowed to test earlier, this
might
have gone a long way toward stopping the spread of the coronavirus throughout
Washington and the rest of the country.

* Masks, protective clothing and hospital supplies. The CDC or Trump should
have ordered mass production of these too, but they didn't.

What has been done?
---------------------------------

Despite their late start, governments and even employers around the country
have taken unprecedented actions in trying to stop the spread of the
coronavirus.
They've all suddenly found money that they've previously denied having. Sick
leave is being given where it was never been given before. ...

But there are also many failings and bureaucratic blockages in the measures
taken so far, and they've been taken too timidly. For example, the bans on
public
gatherings were often bans on gatherings of 250, 500, or even 1000 people--too
large of crowds. The CDC then recommended that events of 50 or more people
not be held for some two months, and Trump has now reduced that number to
10. Similarly, there was timidity about lockdowns. Hindsight is easy, but it
appears
that part or all of King County should have been locked down many weeks ago.
One reason I say this is that a genome study showed that someone from this
area carried COVID-19 to California, creating a new cluster there.(2)

And there have been fiascoes. Most notably, Trump's travel ban on flights from
Europe was probably necessary. But it did not include U.S. citizens and
permanent residents. Thus, at terribly inflated prices, thousands and thousands
of
them flew back to this country from heavily infected Europe. Their temperatures

were not taken as they got off the planes (a strategy used in Asia, but does
the
U.S. even have enough thermometers?), and they were packed into huge lines in
the terminals with no social distancing. More, at Dulles International the line
for
infected people was just inches away from the line for (presumably) uninfected
people. As a local activist commented, "if you were trying to spread COVID-19
across the country, you couldn't do any better [than this]."

What is to be done?
---------------------------------

In ordinary times the U.S. government cares very little about the health of the

people. (Witness the minuscule CDC budget, or the fact that the richest country
in
the world stands at number 29 in the quality of its health care, or that we do
not
have universal health care.) ...

On the other hand, the masses of people have not been so slow and timid.
Naturally, they've been washing their hands, social distancing, staying home
when possible and so on. But all the attempts to slow the spread of and
mitigate
the coronavirus will not work if the livelihood of workers is not taken care
of. Thus,
sections of the people have also been signing petitions demanding things like
protective masks and clothing in hospitals. Auto workers in the U.S. and Canada

have walked out on brief strikes for anti-virus protection. Hospitality workers
in
New Orleans disrupted the mayor's news conference to demand that the health
and safety of workers and the public be a priority. Teachers in New York
threatened a mass sickout to make de Blasio close the schools, and de Blasio
has now closed them. ...

All these struggles must continue, and this tendency among the masses should
be further developed. As well, there's a need for struggles to ensure that the
various levels of government follow through with their promises. And while
there
have been demands to close the concentration camps on the Mexican border
because the coronavirus will spread like wildfire in them, infect staffs and
then
infect the general population, Trump has not done this. Instead, he's planning
step up his war against migrants and refugees from the south by further
strengthening border "security". This is turning reality on its head! Mexico
only has
93 confirmed cases, and Central American countries have even fewer. If anyone
needs to be restricting travel, Mexico needs to restrict people coming from the

United States.

The future
---------------------------------

We must presently do all we can to stop further spread of this coronavirus
plague.
But when it ends I think we will be living in a changed country. I think large
numbers of people will be asking, why can't we always have paid sick leave for
everyone? Why can't the moratoriums on evictions be made permanent? Why
can't the sheltering of the homeless be made permanent? Why must the water in
Detroit be shut off again? And why can't we have universal health care?

Moreover, in the midst of this crisis I think there's a spirit of solidarity
growing up
among the masses of people. There's a growing realization that

NO ONE IS SAFE UNTIL EVERYONE IS SAFE! <>

Notes

(1) https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-cdc-funding_n_5990114

(2) https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236799358718185472.html <>