#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

What we are experiencing is not degrowth but rather a tragedy. ‘Surely, nothing could be worse,’ wrote Hannah Arendt in The Human Condition (1958) than ‘the prospect of a society of laborers without labor’. The economic implications of containing the COVID-19 pandemic means that currently we have a growth society without growth or its engine,workers. But, this is not degrowth.

Degrowth is to growth as quality is to quantity, totally different. Growth is pure quantity: it is quality neutral. It is only because we live in a capitalist society where having more money is associated with a better quality of life that such confusion arises — so, degrowth is confused with lack, poverty and austerity. In reality degrowth stands for quality of life within planetary limits. This is the real opposite of capitalist growth.

full: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/can-europe-make-it/limit-growth-liberate-degrowth/