#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I have to be honest for a second. As much as I have no love for Confederate
generals, I also have no love for military bases regardless of what names
are given, nor for any of the other legions of racists that preceded the
Confederacy in U.S. history.

While I think the neo-Confederates and Trumpists are trying to rally around
Confederate kitsch to defend white supremacy I think it is equally
questionable how sincere the opposing camp is to claim they are motivated
primarily by "anti-racism". A really anti-racist proposal would not involve
renaming the bases. It would involve decommissioning them altogether --
particularly Fort Benning which is where the notorious School of Americas
operates.

That being said I know these performative stunts are appealing to people
and I suppose there is no harm, so...

Amith R. Gupta

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:17 PM Louis Proyect via Marxism <