#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

NY Times, June 14, 2020
Young New Yorkers Want You to Know Why They’re Marching
By Somini Sengupta

They are movement newbies.

Mostly in their 20s and 30s, emerging from different corners of New York City, they call this their personal turning point. No longer, they say, could they just post on Instagram, or just give money, or just vote. They needed to put their bodies on the street after the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

So for roughly two weeks, they have protested. They have protested on bikes and skateboards. They have knelt. They have poured across the bridges, faced off with the police and gotten arrested, detained for hours in crowded precinct station houses. They come out and march again, in steamy heat and in downpours.

For many, it’s their first movement. It’s their chance to be a part of history, they say, and for some, a moment to examine who they are.

These young New Yorkers are part of a global generational revolt erupting at a time when strongman leaders have ascended around the world. Their peers were out on the streets in Hong Kong and India. Climate protests were led by schoolchildren worldwide last year.

In this country, too, there were young adults in the rank and file of Black Lives Matter since its inception in 2013. And in 2018, the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., spurred a surge of activism by teenagers for gun control.

The groups known as millennials and Generation Z are the United States’s largest and most racially diverse generations. According to opinion polls, they tend to be progressive, they are less likely that older Americans to think the United States is superior to other countries, and they embody a profound demographic shift: Among Americans in their 20s and 30s, about 40 percent are people of color, compared with about 25 percent of those over age 60.

Here’s why a few of those who are new to protesting have taken to the streets:

“This is pretty much my life now,” Xavier Martinez, 21, said, fresh from a march in Manhattan and searching for another, in Brooklyn, on a night that the city was under curfew.

“I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror if I weren’t here,” his friend, James Luckey, 21, explained.

Mr. Luckey grew up on Staten Island. He was 17 when Eric Garner died in a police chokehold not far from where he lived. Mr. Martinez grew up in Queens. One of his relatives was a police officer. They met as students at the Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan.

On a recent Friday, they snaked through Downtown Brooklyn, past Park Slope and onto Eastern Parkway. Mr. Luckey had been protesting nearly every day for a week. The faces on the streets were becoming familiar.

“Hey, I remember you,” Mr. Luckey said to two young women who were walking in his direction along Eastern Parkway. “Is it still going on?”

They recognized him, too. They told him how much further to walk to meet up with the night’s remaining protesters.

“Stay safe,” they said to each other. It’s the refrain of the streets now: “Stay safe.”

Neither Mr. Martinez or Mr. Luckey belong to an established organization. They follow no particular leader. There are many leaders, they say. Some are the bicyclists who whistle and clear the path for marchers. Others lead chants. Suddenly, in a crowd of hundreds, someone else will command the group to kneel in one of the busiest intersections in Brooklyn, bringing the streets to a startling near-silence.

“The first person who makes their presence known is the leader,” Mr. Martinez said.

Mr. Luckey was arrested last week and spent eight hours in police custody. He had taken a day off to recuperate and then headed out again.

He knows that people in the 1960s did this, too. “We’re doing all the things they were doing in the past,” Mr. Luckey said. “It’s different now because we do have a lot of allies.”

Adopted from Peru by a white American family, Belinda Stahl, 29, grew up in Maine, one of the whitest states in the country. As a child, most of her friends were white — otherwise, she laughed, she wouldn’t have had any friends.

Ms. Stahl moved to New York City to attend art school. She left, then came back, and by the time the coronavirus hit, she was juggling a series of restaurant and retail jobs while working on her passion, fashion design.
.
Police violence was not a new discovery to her, she said. But two things jolted her this time: the brutality of Mr. Floyd’s death, and on top of that, the timing.

“We are down and out,” she said. “We are in a pandemic. We don’t know if we are going to have our jobs back. At a point when everyone is not OK — that you would still do this?”

Instagram brought her images of protests in Minneapolis and then New York. Ms. Stahl had been isolated in her apartment for more than two months. She worried about the virus, but there was no way, she said, she could stay home.

“It was this feeling of helplessness, like I’m not supposed to leave my house, but this is wrong, so wrong, and they’re going to get away with it unless there’s a huge group of people to draw attention to how wrong this is,” she said.

On the fourth night of the New York protests, she called a friend and they headed to Barclays Center, epicenter of the demonstrators in Brooklyn. She carried a homemade placard: “THIS ENDS NOW.”

Ms. Stahl reached out to more friends in the days after. Some of them had been beaten by the police in those protests, she said, which only steeled her resolve.

“It’s even more unifying,” she said. “You are all unarmed against people in riot gear. You’re just standing there and what do you have around you? You have people.”

Her 67-year-old mother, Ms. Stahl said, would join the protests were it not for fear of the virus.

“The conversation we are having right now to break systemic racism has begun with our parents,” she said.

“My focus has shifted to more actively focusing on those conversations.”

First came a text from a friend. People were protesting a block away, in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, where she lived. Quin Johnson and her boyfriend made signs at home and started walking with the crowd.

“It kept going further and further into the city,” Ms. Johnson, 36, said. “I felt like walking was my duty. I could walk all day.”

That night, the demonstrators walked across the Manhattan Bridge and up to Union Square. What scared her most was the police tear-gassing the crowds.

Days later, on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, a police car drove through a crowd of protesters, scattering everyone toward the edge of the street. “The more people see what police departments are doing, the more people get revved up,” she said.

“There are days even when I’m tired, I feel I have to walk and be part of this movement.”

The only protest Ms. Johnson had ever joined before was one for climate action last year. She has voted since she was 18 and follows the news. She is keenly aware of the long history police violence. But this is the first time she has been out, day after day, for something she believes in. Last Saturday was her first time out past curfew. She was terrified, she said.

“I’m not an activist; It’s my first time speaking out,” she said. “We’ve all been drowsy or sleeping.”

David Dacosta, 32, immigrated from Jamaica. His wife, Danielle, 31, came from Trinidad. To be stopped by the police in his country, Mr. Dacosta said, was to risk having to pay a bribe.

Police violence became part of their education about black life in the United States.

“My parents didn’t tell us what black parents tell their kids,” Ms. Dacosta said. The thought of having that talk with a child of her own one day terrifies her, she said.

“I felt like I was ignorant of what black Americans have been experiencing,” she said. “It’s been eye-opening for sure.”

They stood close to each other, on the fringe of a crowd of over 1,000 at Barclays Center one evening last week. Two women spread out a mat, knelt and prayed. A Muslim relief group handed out falafel sandwiches. The Dacostas, who live in Brooklyn, planned to head home well before curfew.

The video of Mr. Floyd’s death jolted them; they knew it was the latest of many. Being silent, they told each other, was no longer an option.

“This is the first time I’m out marching for something,” Ms. Dacosta said. “Something has to be done.”

Mr. Dacosta added: “I’ve never really been political per se. Seeing the violence right now, it’s too much. To be silent is to be complicit. I can’t do that anymore.”