From: marxism-bounces+rfidler_8=sympatico...@lists.econ.utah.edu
[mailto:marxism-bounces+rfidler_8=sympatico...@lists.econ.utah.edu] On
Behalf Of Louis Proyect
Sent: July 29, 2009 1:55 PM
To: rfidle...@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: [Marxism] Iran: Whose Side are You On?

Tom Cod wrote:
> not so ridiculous at all.  Marx took a similar position in
supporting the Mahdi, I think he called himself, of Algeria in
resistance to French colonialism in the 1850s.

You are confusing two things. Marxists back colonial resistance to
imperialism, but he never would have backed such a government against
its own people.

One example should suffice. Haile Selassie's resistance to Mussolini
was one of the most inspiring struggles of the 1930s but Selassie was
a feudalist and backed the oppression of colonial peoples within the
Ethiopian *Empire*, such as the Oromo peoples. We would have backed
Selassie against Mussolini but the Oromos against Selassie.

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.econ.utah.edu Set your options
at:
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/options/marxism/rfidler_8%40sympati
co.ca