Tom Cod:

No dude, that's not a defense that is very helpful as it assumes that this
happened and then makes excuses for it. Moreover, it is a slap in the face
to  the millions of soviet soldiers and partisans who didn't do things like
that.  I'm not sure what your experiences in war or military life are, but
there are  plenty of people who have fought in wars and been in extreme
situations and not  committed these crimes; ultimately it is an unavoidable
individual moral  decision that a person must make in that situation which the
movie "Casualties  of War" depicts very well. Finally, to glibly say that
since war is about  violence and rape are violence means that anything goes
including rape is  unacceptable.

Reply:

I haven't made excuses for anything. What I've done rather is attempt  to
analyse what happened conscious of the role that the prism we are viewing the
 events in question through can play in said analysis.

Neither do I defend what happened. But to assert, or allude, to the notion
that thousands of Red Army soldiers were born or congenital rapists,
without even attempting to look at the material conditions under which the
atrocities in question were committed, is to lapse into a reactionary view  of
human nature.

And to place the scale and utterly brutal nature of the war fought  between
the Soviet Union and the Nazis alongside other wars is to fail to give
this titanic struggle its proper place in history.

Yes, you're right, Casualties of War, Platoon, etc., are good examples of
the ability of the individual to rebel against the commission of atrocities
by  the group. But in both movies, it's worth noting, it is the minority
who refused to go along with the atrocities being committed not  the majority.
Group psychology, peer pressure, the formation of an  alternate and
distorted value system in the context of the rarefied  conditions of combat,
have
to be factored into any analysis of a subject  such as this.

The key point is that the atrocities committed against German women by  the
Red Army reflect the nature of the war being waged by both sides. The
atrocities committed by the Nazis - the mass executions, torture, the laying
waste of entire villages and towns - I suggest made it pretty much inevitable
that atrocities would be committed in return by the Red Army. Stalin had
described the war as a war of annhiliation. Soviet propaganda against the
Nazis was decidedly different during the war's infancy as opposed to  its
latter stages. Initially, it was internationalist in tone and message,
separating the German state and ruling class from the German people. But as
the
Nazis approached Moscow it became nationalist in tone and message, focusing  on
the defece of the Soviet Fatherland, describing the Germans as locusts,
etc.

This propaganda, combined with the horrible atrocities the advancing Soviet
 troops witnessed against their fellow countrymen and women, was bound to
have an effect on many of the troops.

The atrocities committed by the Red Army reflect the  brutality and cruelty
of the Nazi invasion which presaged them. They are  not defensible, nor
even comprehensible. But then again neither was this  war, which stands apart
from any other in modern history in scale, brutality and  cruelty.