Greg says

For its part, the ELN says this is the first phase of a US plan to
invade Venezuela. They call on unity with FARC to defeat the US
invasion, by preventing the US consolidation of military bases in
Colombian territory. End of quote

FOR ONCE, FOR ONLY ONCE URIBE ON HIS WIRLWIND TOUR TO SOME COUNTRIES IN
LATIN AMERICA IS GETTING CLOSE TO THE CRUX OF THE MATTER.
The first and primary target are the insurgent groups and since there is
only one currently on campaigns, because the ELN is not, then this leaves
the FARC. Some sections, not all of both groups have had intense rivalry,
and for this reason there are no accords between them.
This call to arms by the ELN and a rapprochement with the FARC is surprising
and more interesting than the content of its missive about attacks to
Venezuela. Do not doubt that there will be intense bombing of the areas
controlled by the insurgency, civil population notwithstanding.

In short the air bases are not aimed at Venezuela the state, as countless
analysts from have suggested. Their presence has initially negotiated with
Bush, what has changed is the speed and brazenness with which they have
announced an increase in the number of bases originally agreed to.

Look the US could have invaded Cuba, if it chose to many years ago, but it
did not. It would not seem even militarily expedient to attack Venezuela for
what, militarily speaking of course? Venezuela still supplies the US with
gold and both parties seem to be happy in this regard.

This said, OIL may be another key factor, as it was on the war on Iraq. What
is at stake is the protection of an intensification of the drilling and
mining industries which happens to be on the Ecuadorean and Venezuelan
border with Colombia. And these the US will fight for.

Another factor, strategically speaking the US had no land base for the
flights of the aircraft of the fourth fleet which was launched into the
Caribbean a year ago. So now the US has a land base and the necessary naval
force in the Caribbean and there is no count on how many mercenaries are in
Colombia.

I seem to recall that Venezuela closed its airspace to the US military quite
a long time ago, but it still allows Colombian air force, following the
usual protocols, to fly over its territory, however, what happens next in
this regard, in the sense of an increase in flights will indicate whether in
fact Venezuela believes that the bases, now fully operated by Colombian
mercenaries have their sights on Venezuela.