Nestor G. wrote:

if I was USAmerican, maybe you would be right. I just noticed
something. And, let us suppose that there were no American Indians,
African Americans or Latinos in New England, then why is tiny New
England representative of USAmerica? Still a problem.

Well, the problem is that tiny New England is precisely representative
of USAmerica. But to be fair to Rockwell, in his later years he did
tackle some of the more pressing problems related to civil rights in a
few of his paintings. You can see them with commentary here:

http://www.everydaycitizen.com/2008/02/norman_rockwell_and_the_civil.html

Not so long ago I lived close to the Norman Rockwell museum and was
able to see these pieces firsthand. "Southern Justice" I liked a lot,
but "Murder in Mississippi" is actually quite haunting in its
depiction of racist terror. Rockwell, influenced by his more liberal
third wife, and the psychologist Robert Coles, himself a civil rights
proponent, took advantage of his move to "Look" magazine to express
his newly found interest in social concerns.

But back to actual new england. They still have town meetings, sure. I
recall the last one I monitored, in which the police force of Lenox
packed the hall to vote in favor of the $300 fine for possession of
small amounts of that deadly herb, marijuana. The state had recently
rescinded its felony charge for possession to a misdemeanor plus a
$100 fine. The police of Lenox thought the fine was too small, so they
rushed through an "emergency meeting" on the topic and voted the
increase into law, overriding the state fee.  Even the sacred "town
meeting" can be manipulated for nefarious purposes in its very birth
place.

With regard to other social issues, I remember a demonstration we
organized on the side of a rural road next to the chimney of the
former childhood home of W.E.B. Dubois, in South Egremont,
Massachusetts, which is now in ruins after years of criminal neglect.
We thought something should be done about that so we held a local
rally to shed some light on the issue.

A friend had parked on the side of the road in front of a house
abutting the property in question. An irate old geezer stepped out on
the front porch with shotgun in hand and threatened to blow us all to
hell unless the car was moved off his property. To make the event into
a classic xenophobic episode, he called us all a bunch of goddamned
communists. (DuBois, of course, had been a communist, joining the
party late in life). We could easily have been in mississippi. The
only thing different was the accent. At the actual event, we were
hounded by a couple of drunken provocateurs, relatives of the local
sheriff. She happened to be female, but her brother-in-law filled in
for the role of ignorant backwoods love it or leave it type.

So much for freedom of speech and non-white privilege in USAmerica.
You can have it but you damned well better be prepared to defend
yourself.

Greg McD