Well, shut my mouth and burn my britches!

Lockerbie outrage moves Obama to extradite long-wanted CIA-terrorist Luis
Posada Carriles to Venezuela...

Anti-War (Thomas Harrington): In a dramatic announcement made yesterday shortly
after the President's arrival on Martha's Vineyard, the administration declared
its intention to hand over Luis Posada Carriles, the widely acknowledged
mastermind of the bombing of Cubana Airlines Flight 455 that killed 73 people
in 1976, to the Venezuelan government for prosecution.

According to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, Obama's change of heart on the
long-requested extradition of Posada, who was a citizen of Venezuela when he
allegedly planned the crime, came after watching Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, the
convicted planner of the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing in 1988, return home to a
hero's welcome in Libya.

"The President was sickened to see this man who bears responsibility for ending
the lives of hundreds of completely innocent people, and forever altering those
of the many thousands that loved them, walk free. Feeling their pain made him
acutely aware of just how unfair it was to continue to let Mr. Posada, who in
addition to the Cubana bombing has been implicated in numerous assassinations
and as many as 41 other terrorist bombings throughout the Caribbean and Central
America, get up each day in Miami and sip his morning coffee in complete
freedom."

Since the "declaration" of the "War on Terror" in late 2001, the avowed goal of
the US government has been to prosecute terrorists wherever they might be in
the world. As former President George W. Bush put it in a speech before a joint
session of Congress on September 20 of that year, "It will not end until every
terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped, and defeated."

Apparently, however, there was a large loophole in this policy for Posada and
the many others like him assigned to use terrorist tactics on behalf of the US
government or organizations backed by what is often termed the "US intelligence
community."

A brief examination of Posada's career demonstrates just how large this
loophole is. In addition to his role in planning the Cubana bombing in 1976,
Posada worked for the Reagan White House supplying US-backed irregulars in
Nicaragua and the armies of the Salvadoran and Honduran dictatorships with the
arms they used to kill thousands of innocent civilians in the late 1980s. In
the late 1990s, Posada directed a series of terrorist bombings in Cuba designed
to cripple the growth of that nation's burgeoning tourist industry, attacks he
took full credit for in a wide-ranging interview with the New York Times.

Yet, despite his public admission of guilt in this and numerous other cases of
terrorism, Posada lived a relatively unfettered life in the US. He did so,
moreover, despite having been caught entering the country illegally, under an
assumed name, sometime prior to 2005.

   In recent years judges have regularly deported Muslim immigrants for the
slightest procedural infractions, but Posada was freed on bail by an
immigration judge in Texas and allowed to return to Florida under house arrest
in April 2007.

A month later, US District Judge Kathleen Cardone in Miami dismissed all seven
immigration charges against Posada. Though a grand jury in El Paso, Texas,
recently issued a new set of indictments against Posada in relationship to the
Cuban bombings and his entry into the US on a fraudulent passport, Posada
remained a free man until President Obama's stunning announcement yesterday.

Gibbs concluded his announcement with the following remarks. "In the wake of
September 11, it was frequently asked 'Why do they hate us?.' "

"Many concluded that it was because they are jealous of our freedoms. We now
know, however, that it is really because of the way we selectively condemn in
others the types of murderous activities that we regularly license ourselves
and our close allies to carry out with impunity."

"We believe that the extradition of Mr. Posada will be seen as a valuable first
step in closing our enormous credibility gap around the issue of terror."

http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=83280