Jeff wrote:
> At 21:00 24/08/09 +0200, Nasir Khan wrote:
> [see  [Marxism] The US War against Iraq: The Destruction of a Civilization]
> [full text: http://dissidentvoice.org/2009/08/the-us-war-against-iraq/]
>
>> by James Petras, Dissident Voice, August 21, 2009
>>
>> The US seven-year war and occupation of Iraq is driven by several
>> major political forces ....
>>
>> [including] the following (in order of
>> importance).
>
> Unfortunately the quote ends there so you do not get Petras' "list" of
> political forces behind the Iraq war unless you go to the full article as I
> did. What you will find is exactly TWO items on his list (of why the US
> went to war in Iraq), which are, "in order of importance":
>
> 1) What he calls "The Zionist Power Configuration (ZPC)," essentially
> referring to JEWS in the US government whose "top priority was to advance
> Israel’s agenda."
>
> and (of less importance):
> 2) "Civilian militarists (like Donald Rumsfeld and Vice President Cheney)"
> who are NOT JEWISH.

Petras is a total idiot.

I think the big problem with him, Cockburn and any number of leftist
personalities is that they are not challenged when they write this crap.
Counterpunch does not have a place for comments and Petras has never
been in a debate as far as I can tell. He issues his screeds from high
on top of Mount Professor Emeritus and if you don't like what he is
saying, tough. Counterpunch has something new, a Facebook for its
readers. I don't plan to participate because I still hold Jeff St. Clair
in some regard, even though he is like a battered wife to Cockburn.