This is probably a very valid point.  There should no question that the
immigrant rights movements
and organizing among other marginalized groups should be a primary focus for
Marxists right now.

I despise when people dismiss the White working class as hopelessly
reactionary, but there is no doubt in
 my mind that the embryo of a mass movement would have to start in more
fertile territory.

As far as provocation goes if part of his essay challenged leftists who have
been seeing Obama, Hillary and Condi
as mostly beneficiaries of the upheavals of the New Left and the
post-political left, instead of  neoliberalism ethos.
I think this is fundamentally correct.

I was unaware of his stance on diversity in universities.  It sounds arcane
and reactionary.