Paul Flewers wrote:
> The Second World War was the last time that Britain played anything like a
> major role on a world scale, and I guess that the endless commemorating of
> it here is at least in part an unconscious recognition of this.

After more furniture busting than has been seen since the barroom fight
in "Shane", the comments on "Stalin Nostalgia" and "Churchill Nostalgia"
have died down on my blog.

I don't want to stir things up there again, but do want to offer another
thought about it here where belief in a "Good War" is less entrenched
presumably.

It seems that both sides in the debate agree that Churchill was fighting
an imperialist war but Newman and company argue that this was secondary
to the need to defeat Hitler. Every effort had to be bent toward
mobilizing the working class for a militant war against Hitler, even if
it was under the stewardship of a dog like Churchill.

That poses the question of the responsibilities of Marxists. How in the
world can a "pro-war" revolutionary current possibly not agitate around
all the terrible things that the British ruling class was up to? For
example, I have been harping on Bengal. If Indian Communists told their
British comrades what was going on, it would be *criminal* not to mount
demonstrations against the policies that led to a famine that would kill
3 million Indians. Remaining silent around such issues would of course
be dictated by the need to get everybody on a war footing and follow the
military/political machine but it would end up discrediting the
revolutionary "pro-war" left.

Which of course is what happened in the USA. If a parallel process took
place in Britain, that would be an interesting topic to research but I
have a feeling that it did not.