I don't care if you call be a breast-beating liberal, though I dislike
liberalism as much as anyone. But, more to the point:

> You know Ian, take your breast-beating liberalism somewhere else, because
> all you are doing is equivocating over the language of the law.  "Did the
> court find that he had consensual intercourse?"  If the justice system is
> bogus, corrupt, sentencing people to rape camp etc. then it's bogus
> corrupt
> and who gives a rat's ass about what "the court" found?

Hence why I said through a fair trial. Proper legal process should, I would
have thought, be something that Marxists should defend.

> [hey, by the way, Ian/Shane got any
> daughters? Ask them how they feel about poor persecuted Polanski],

That's not even worth responding to - that sort of argument has been used in
the 'how would you feel if a black man raped your daughter', or a 'how would
you feel if one of your family was in the WTC' context.

> If she doesn't want to proceed, that's fine.  OK, as I said I don't care.
> But stop this bullshit about defending an artist,

I certainly not defending someone on the basis of their being an artist, as
should be clear from my earlier post.

 >  1) he did force a child to have sex with him
No, that is what he is *charged* with.

> 2) he did plea bargain
It looks that way, but we have no way of knowing on what basis the plea
bargaining proceeded, if that indeed was why the other charges were dropped.

> 3) he did plead guilty
To sex with a minor, not to non-statutory rape.

> 5) the only reason this is
> news, the only reason Woody Allen [although not you, I'm sure you're
> sincere] signed a petition is because Polanski is part of a wealthy elite
Agreed.

> So tell me, why should the treatment of Polanski be any different than the
> treatment of Mike Tyson?
It shouldn't. He had his defenders as well. I'll listen to any of those
people if they are also prepared to come to the defence of a non-celebrity,
non-artist, blue collar worker, or unemployed person, or illegal immigrant
faced with comparable circumstances.

Solidarity,
Ian