http://www.counterpunch.org/cramer10012009.html

Obamacare Cost Cutting
Seniors on the Chopping Block

By MARY LYNN CRAMER

Even at this late hour it seems progressives do not understand the
goal of Obamacare. They keep repeating the mantra (on every “liberal”
talk show from Democracy Now to NPR’s On Point) that the cuts in
Medicare will only be from the “wasteful” programs like Medicare
Advantage.

That’s right! Medicare Advantage: The plans that make Medicare
affordable for most of us senior citizens. The original Medicare A & B
do not begin to cover basic medical needs. I would be living in a
shelter and begging on the streets if I had to depend on Medicare A &
B or Medigap (the program that covers the 20% of costs not paid for by
Medicare A&B) for my weekly medical expenses and doctor visits.

Progressives who think that “Medicare For All” is the same as
Universal Single-Payer, are stuck behind their ideological blinders,
swinging their swords at windmills and stabbing senior citizens in the
back, all the while pretending they didn’t know low-income seniors are
the targeted source of the $500 billion cost savings that Obama plans
to root out of the "wasteful and fraudulent" Medicare Advantage
program.

The health care plan being designed by Obama and his powerful friends
will reduce the health care coverage of all of us to the same low
standards and minimum coverage of the original Medicare.

Yes, we will have “Medicare For All,” the most inadequate and
worthless coverage available: No coverage for physical exams, eye or
hearing exams, hearing aids or glasses; no foot care or orthopedic
shoes, no chiropractics, no dental care, etc., etc. (See my article
“Progressives Abet Obama Fraud” in the Aug. 18, 2009 at
Counterpunch.org). That is why that wise old man confronted Obama
demanding that he “keep the government out of my Medicare Advantage.”
Grampy had done his homework long before most of us.

The “Original Medicare (A&B)” and “Medigap” programs are subsidized by
the federal government on a cost percentage (of severely limited
medical services) in a one-plan-fits-all program. All the private
providers of Medigap insurance must offer the same identical
plan---which does not include any drug coverage--- based on the very
limited number of services covered in the Original Medicare. This
Medicare Supplemental Insurance covers the 20% of costs of services in
parts A & B that the Original Medicare does not pay for.

Not so with Medicare Advantage. Each private provider for Medicare
Advantage gets a lump sum per enrollee/patient, and covers a wide
range of services, with competitive low premiums, no deductibles, and
each manages its own costs and programs. Let me be clear: I am for
universal single-payer health care, as they have in France or Canada
or at least what they have in England. There are many different ways
to do single-payer involving both the private and public sector.

However, that is not what is on the President’s table! Obama has said
repeatedly, there will be no ”Trojan Horse” opening the way for an
eventual single-payer health plan. He means it, as you know. So
progressives have to set their idealistic rhetoric aside and look at
what is actually on the table being set for us by the largest drug and
insurance corporations — waited upon by their front men in the White
House and Congress. Don't sacrifice the seniors for propaganda
purposes.

Mary Lynn Cramer, MA, MSW, LICSW, Senior Citizen, has a background in
economics and clinical social work, and considerable personal
experience with Medicare. She can be reached at mlly...@yahoo.com