Alan Woods was probably quoting Trotsky rather than Marx but I don't
know the source.
In 'Beyond CAPITAL', I quoted Marx from 'The First Outline of the Civil
War in France':

'The Communal organisation once firmly established on a national scale,
the catastrophes it might still have to undergo would be sporadic
slaveholders' insurrections, which, while for a moment interrupting the
work of peaceful progress, would only accelerate the movement, by
putting the sword into the hand of the Social Revolution.'

    michael

--
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus

Director, Programme in 'Transformative Practice and Human Development'
Centro Internacional Miranda, P.H.
Residencias Anauco Suites, Parque Central, final Av. Bolivar
Caracas, Venezuela
fax: 0212 5768274/0212 5777231
www.centrointernacionalmiranda.gob.ve
mlebo...@sfu.ca