Artesian wrote:
>I have a copy of Bianco's book and intend to
>read it as soon as I finish some work on
>railroads and the Mexican revolution....
>I'll make you a deal-- you get Waistline to
>read my "thin list," and you read Huang's studies,
>and in return I'll read every book on the list you
>provided, including the one on Mao's political thought.
>Deal?

If Waistline is so inclined I will lend him
my copy of "Problems of the Chinese Revolution,"
and throw in "Stalin's Failure in China"and then,
later, buy (some of)the beer to discuss all this
at the Gaelic League. Any other comrades
in the Detroit area are invited too.
As to Huang, do you mean Philip C. C. Huang
(The Peasant Economy and Social Change in North China)?
If so it looks like the first 40 pages are online
and I am sure I can find the book here.

For your end of the bargin, let me suggest
some modifications. You should really begin
with The Broken Wave: The Chinese Communist
Peasant Movement, 1922-1928 (Harvard East
Asian Series, No. 90) ~ Roy Hofheinz Jr. and
read that in conjunction with The Foundations of
Mao Zedong's Political Thought, 1917-1935.
You can get both of these used from Amazon
for about two dollars each. Reading those two
first and then going through the most important
chapters of Bianco (4, 5, & 6) will give a
very interesting contrast in interpretation.

These are the most important and if you have time
after that, Sun Shuyun's account of the Long March
is very compelling and well written.

For future discussions, I hope we return
to the comment someone made about an emerging
Chinese model of authoritarian capitalism.
It was just getting started and then vanished
too soon.