The man's got a point, Darryl.  I mean David W.'s got THE point.  The
assault on the working class was not initiated by a cataclysmic change in
the technique of production, but by a response to declining profitability.
And that's the basic issue.  I might even say that's the entire issue in its
most compressed form. There is no "leap" in technology that is responsible
for the history of the class struggle since 1974.

The application of digital technology to production is not quite the
application of digital electronic technology you might think it is.

First, unlike the application of steam to production which, as Marx points
out, became technically incompatible, but not socially incompatible, with
the organization of manufacture, digital technology has no such technical
incompatibility with industrial production.

Actually, if we were measuring these things, I'd say the transition from
steam generated power to application of electric generation of power for
production was more laced with problems of technical incompatibility than
the application of digital technology to industrial production. And much
more "revolutionary" in its impact. But who's got time to measure?

Anyway, most of the greatest impacts of digital technology have been in
research, design, engineering,  logistics, accounting, inventory control,
replacement ordering, tracking, communication and transportation, all that
stuff we call logistics-- a lot of back office and front office
applications, with enormous impacts on production to be sure but on the
cheapening of the units constant capital and/or at the same time an opposite
social impact as the mass of constant capital expands.

What element of robotics as applied to automobile production is technically
incompatible with the industrial production of automobiles, as opposed to
driving to the extreme the social incompatibility  of technological advance
and profit accumulation; as opposed to making manifest the limitations to
capitalist production being capital itself; as opposed to say the
utilization of technology not to produce wealth per se, but to transfer
wealth from the poorer to the richer, as with finance capital?

In answer to Greg's question-- the issue is not if digital technology made
the assault on the working class easier; if it made the movement of capital
across boundaries quicker, more efficient, and/or more damaging to any or
all parties; the issue is if digital technology represents a revolution in
the forces of production, a technological leap above the level of industrial
production?

So let's look at real history-- something David W. did to bring us all back
to the material world.

Employment on US railroads peaked at 2,076,000 in 1920, declining steadily
to around 1 million before WW2 when it grew by 40% to 1.4 million in 1945.
By 1970, employment was down to 500,000.  What was the driver of this
transformation?  The shift from steam locomotive power to diesel-electric
motive power.  In 1920, there were 69,000 locomotives to haul freight about
414 billion revenue ton-miles.  In 1970, 26, 600 locomotives hauled freight
771 billion ton-miles.  Average tractive effort per locomotive almost
doubled.  But the kicker was the fact that diesel-electric locomotives could
be connected electrically [called "MU" for multiple unit]  and any number of
locomotives could be controlled from a single locomotive by a.....single
engineer.

Latest figures for Class 1 railroads show a decline in employment to less
than 150,000-- now to be sure, there's a lot of book juggling in those
numbers as railroads have spun off more short lines [Class 2 railroads],
separated passenger and commuter service, but no matter how you juggle the
books, employment is less than half what it was in 1970, 2007 figure for
total employment is about 234, 000  OK, so where's the bigger technological
leap?

Now the downsizing in railroad employment after 1970 was not produced,
precipitated, nor driven by any technological transformation.  It was driven
by bankruptcy, not in the face of a new technological means for hauling coal
or grain or automobiles or chemicals, but by "legacy assets"-- the legacy of
overproduction.  The bourgeoisie "resolved" this problem through
devaluation, or as we call it in the vernacular, bankruptcy.   Once upon a
time, 7 class 1 railroads carried traffic between Omaha, Nebraska and
Chicago, Il.  And today?  Well there's the BNSF, and the UP and there's
the.... nobody.  Milwaukee Road?  Gone.  Rock Island?  Gone.  Illinois
Central?  Spun off its Iowa branch.  BN merged with ATSF, soon to be the
Buffet Burlington Northern Santa Fe.  CNW? taken over by the UP etc etc.
etc. None of this was driven by any new technologies.

And the actual application of new technologies?   Digital technology has
certainly been applied-- to signal systems for centralized control; to
digital radios for data communication; to track laying machines for proper
alinement, curvature, grade-- the things we call track geometry.  To
locomotives-- but if we look at locomotives we see the shift has not been as
radical as the "leap" from steam to diesel-electric. The number of
locomotives in operation [class 1 rrs 2006] app. 24,000 hauling 1663 billion
ton-miles.  What has the digital revolution accomplished in locomotives?
Most important thing:  better control of adhesion between the wheel tread
and the rail head, allowing greater horsepower to be effectively translated
into greater tractive effort. If adhesion is not managed, if an optimum
level of "creep" is not maintained [creep is defined as the difference
between the velocity of the driving wheels and the actual velocity of the
locomotive as it accelerates or decelerates] then the locomotive wheels
"spin" or "slip" and effective braking or accelerating is compromised,
producing damage to wheels and rails, increased and unnecessary fuel
consumption, increased in-train forces [called "buffer" and "draft" forces]
that can cause the steel coupling mechanisms between cars to break... etc.
etc.  Digital technology provides a more precise method of improving and
controlling the already existing production elements.

What else has it produced for locomotive usage?  Better self-diagnostics to
avoid enroute failures and unscheduled maintenance for repairs-- that all
important down-time, the enemy of circulating all massive fixed asset
investments.

What else?  Communication. Information.  Heads up real time display of the
physical characteristics of the railroad ahead, a "preview"  allowing the
engineer to take pre-emptive action in controlling the speed, adding power,
reducing in-train forces etc.  Direct, immediate, non-voice dependent
transmission of temporary changes to speed restrictions, track availability,
cars to picked up or set out enroute.

You know what else the "communications revolution" has made possible?  The
engineer can take his cellphone and text message right past two signals and
head on into another train at 47 miles per hour, but we can address that
with other technology. [For those so inclined, the Union Pacific equips its
locomotives with digital cameras so in case of a collision, or an accident
at a grade crossing with an automobile, a video record of the incident is
available.  A video record exists of the collision in Chatsworth, Ca. where
the engineer on a passenger was texting  violated a stop signal, running
head on into a UP freight train, killing 24? people.]

Do I think we are standing on the precipice or in the jaws of a
"technological revolution" in production qua production?  Absolutely. Not.
Absolutely not.  The technology that is deployed commercially that alters
the relations between living and accumulated labor is only introduced after
the social conditions of  a pre-emptive counterrevolution, or near
counterrevolution, have been established, and only for the same reason every
other application of science is introduced-- to reduce costs, accelerate
production, increase the aggrandizement of surplus-value.  You want a new
technology?  Get rid of the old ruling class the "old-fashioned" way-- class
struggle.

Application of steam power did not destroy feudalism; feudalism had been
effectively defeated [in Britian] one hundred years prior to the application
of steam power.  Marx makes it quite clear that manufacture gives way to
industrial production not on the basis of social revolution.

If your intention is to state that the material potential of production is
so great today that 1) the old forms of industrial struggle are not adequate
to making that potential, "advertising" that possibility, to all those who
can and should be involved in a class-conscious struggle against
capitalism-- I absolutely agree or 2) organization of such a class conscious
struggle will necessarily and immediately be more "social"-- perhaps
concerned with something equivalent to the struggles of the residents of El
Alto against the privatization of water supplies in Bolivia--   again I am
in agreement.

You got your 48 months.

Just checked my chin-- no bruises, no marks.  Not whopper-jawed.  Yet.