Hi Eli,  I read your blogs on this topic and of course I agree.  It is mot
important to keep up the critiques of Obama. One needs to constantly edge
him off the moral high ground that he strives for.  Myself thought the whole
Nobel prize thing was an absolute disgrace. Though of course the history of
the Nobel Peace Prize is hardly inspiring.

Tomasky in the Guardian called this Obama's most interesting speech of late,
in that it was a thoujghtful piece that appealed to neither the Left or the
Right.  Reading that made me realise once again why I am not a liberal.
They constantly seek to be in the middle -neither left nor right but out in
front.  Even when no decent middle is available, they still want to try.
What is a middle position on Auschwitz?

There is no middle position on Afghanistan either.  For liberals it
functitoned as the "good war" to justify opposition to the war in Iraq. I
recall very clearly Juan Cole, for instance, saying that if he were a young
man he would volunteer to fight in Afghanistan. I have not read his column
lately so I do not know whether he has renounced that shameful piece of
rhetoric. However the unspeakable mess that the US of A and its NATO allies
have and continue to create in Afghanistan gives the lie to all the shoddy
excuses for the invasion.

But of course it is not the mess that the Allies have created which will
lead to a withdrawal.  It will require military setbacks on the ground and a
brave peace movement to make the Nobel Laureate rethink his windy rhetoric
on the "just" war.

regards

Gary