I think Mark nails it properly when he focuses on the issue of power-- the
transitional demand is supposed to speak to the whole class, unite all
sectors of the class around a demand that speaks to defending the class as a
class from the depredations of the bourgeoisie during the economic
contraction.

The demands are supposed to speak to the exercise of class power against the
extreme social impacts of capital's decline.

In the example of health, I think Mark again has focused on some of the key
issues.. I wouldn't spend a lot of time calling those who support the
current iteration of the bill class-collaborationist, as that's not likely
to upset them, or clarify the real issues at stake.  But I don't think any
iteration of the bill, even with Obama's public option, even with single
payer could have been supported given that those iterations contained
exclusions of immigrants from coverage.    The "universal" has to remain the
cornerstone of a "transitional" medical care program.

Needless to say, things are a bit tricky out there, with US capitalism
having practiced disaggregation alongside and coincident with accumulation,
fragmenting and dispersing the working class, asset stripping production
units, replacing organized workers with non-unionized, and with the
increasing casualization of the work force-- temporary workers, contract
workers, free lancers etc., and the underlying chronic un and
underemployment.  The struggle for universal healthcare requires a lot of
tactical adjustments-- like for one thing-- removing discretionary control
of Medicare funds from state governments and allowing public health
professional to create consistent standards; expansion of the community
clinic program with health care professionals provide the service area
population with updates as to trends in disease, mortality, and current
treatments,  a method, way, to consistently deliver quality healthcare to an
actively involved population.