On Dec 26, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Dogan Gocmen wrote:

> ...My simple questions is this: is this bill (despite all defects) any
> improvement compared to the previous one...

There is, of course, no "previous" health-insurance bill. He
presumably means the status quo, not the contemporary (and only
slightly less bad) HofR draft.  And the answer is simple: the Senate
draft is worse than the status quo.  Why?  First of all, it provides a
$half-trillion subsidy to the justly reviled Health Insurance
Corporation parasites.  Secondly, it imposes mandates for the
"uninsured"  to buy whatever the HICs want to provide, however
inadequate, and fines those who don't want or can't afford (even with
subsidy throughputs) such "coverage."  Third, it penalizes those
states with less-inadequate Medicaid coverage by reducing their
federal reimbursement. Fourthly, it directly injures  those like me,
whose Medicare Advantage plans provide low co-pays, gratuitous
Medicare D coverage, eyeglasses, and discounted dental care (among
other real advantages).  Enough already? Oh yeah, it also (except for
some taxes) doesn't go into effect until 2014, so the public outcry
over its inadequacies cannot have any effect in motivating a movement
for real health reform until the election of 2016 (more likely 2020)
at the earliest.  And it would deprive millions of women of coverage
for the consequences of undesired pregnancy while opening a new arena
for state-by-state prohibitionist demagogy.  I could go on....

Shane Mage