So patriotic were the CP'ers that they also backed the decision to
intern Japanese-Americans.

full: http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/culture/private_ryan.htm

NY Times, December 27, 2009
DVDs
A Grown-Up War Story for a Nation Weary of War
By DAVE KEHR

A WALK IN THE SUN

World War II was in its final stages when “A Walk in the Sun” was
released in January 1945, and the film, in its honesty and ruefulness,
already has the feel of a retrospective, postwar vision. The need for
propaganda had passed — it was no longer necessary to convince audiences
that the war was a cheerful romp, as in “This Is the Army” or “I Wanted
Wings” — and certain things could now be acknowledged, like fear, panic
and death.

Directed by Lewis Milestone from a well-received but now forgotten novel
by Harry Brown, “A Walk in the Sun” follows a few members of an Army
platoon as they land on the beach in Salerno, Italy, and make their way
a few miles inland, where they are to blow up a bridge and take a
farmhouse held by a German machine-gun crew. The action begins in the
predawn darkness and ends in the blaze of noon; in between, war happens.

After the opening credits, a narrator (Burgess Meredith) introduces the
main characters, who seem at first like the standard ethnic mix of a
propaganda film: there’s the loquacious New Jersey Italian (Richard
Conte), the wary New York Jew (George Tyne), the terse Midwestern farmer
(Lloyd Bridges), the drawling Southern medical aide (Sterling Holloway).

When the platoon loses its lieutenant during the landing, leadership
falls first to an inexperienced sergeant (Herbert Rudley) who cracks
under the pressure. (The moment he falls to the ground and starts to
sob, we know we’re in a different kind of war movie.) Command passes to
the quiet, self-contained Sergeant Tyne (Dana Andrews), who carries on
the best he can, leading by consensus rather than authority.

Fifteen years earlier Milestone had won an Oscar for directing “All
Quiet on the Western Front,” an epic adaptation of Erich Maria
Remarque’s pacifist novel of World War I. “A Walk in the Sun” is smaller
in scale and less insistent on its universal humanism (the Germans here
are only faceless killing machines), but it’s also less bombastic,
shaped by small, ambiguous experiences rather than grand moral certainties.

Milestone, born Lev Milstein in 1895 in what is now Moldova, has long
been a problem for critics. At its best his work is formally daring,
almost to the point of slipping into avant-garde effects (like the
bouncing ball close-ups of his 1931 version of “The Front Page”), and
there is a dark, subversive sense of humor in films like “Hallelujah,
I’m a Bum!” (1933) and “The General Died at Dawn” (1936). But his work
could also seem blandly institutional, in prestige projects like the
1952 version of “Les Miserables” and in overproduced entertainments like
the Rat Pack vehicle “Ocean’s Eleven” (1960, from a script written by
Mr. Brown and Charles Lederer).

One of his most consistently accomplished films, “A Walk in the Sun”
walks a fine line between unassuming naturalism and high stylization,
most effectively in Milestone’s handing of Brown’s concentrated, poetic
dialogue (as adapted, almost word for word, by the screenwriter Robert
Rossen). The use of repeated phrases (“You guys kill me,” “I’ve got the
facts”), passed back and forth among the performers, gives the film a
cadenced quality, a rhythm somewhere between a military march and the
echoing absurdities of a Beckett play.

Because “A Walk in the Sun” was never properly registered for copyright,
substandard public-domain versions have been flooding the home video
market for decades. This new edition from VCI Entertainment has been
authorized by Brown’s estate and boasts far better image and sound than
previous releases, though details are still a bit soft, and contrast is
low. Nevertheless the VCI release goes a long way toward restoring this
remarkable film to its proper place in film history, as a token of that
brief moment between the winding down of one war and the ramping up of
the next: the cold war, which would haunt American movies for the next
two decades. (VCI, $14.99, not rated)

Part 3 of "A Walk in the Sun" is online:

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000026711