http://www.rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/gazadelegation/2009/12/1300-activists-co
nverge-cairo-we-are-blocked-we-will-not-be-st

Code Pink Canadian Delegations to Gaza
Coming up on December 31, 2009 is the Gaza Freedom March. Follow Canadian
delegates David Heap and Wendy Goldsmith as they prepare and travel for the
march, and join more than a thousand activists from around the word in an
international action to open the borders to Gaza. For details of this
initiative see: www.gazafreedommarch.org

Following on the successful delegation of March 09 (which included rabble
publisher, Kim Elliott), more than six further Code Pink delegations,
including a delegation of Canadian Members of Parliament, traveled from
Cairo to Gaza this summer to pressure the opening of Rafah border, and an
end to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. The border has effectively been
closed since July 2007, when Israel imposed a blockade. Delegation members
Kim Elliott, Sandra Ruch, Ehab Lotayef, Medea Benjamin, and Libby Davies
have shared posts in this blog. For more on Code Pink's initiatives on Gaza,
see: http://www.womensaynotowar.org/

1300 Activists converge on Cairo: We are blocked but we will not be stopped
By Wendy Goldsmith
| December 27, 2009

Crowd of Gaza Freedom Marchers in Tahrir Square, Cairo (photo by Brandon
Delyzer)

1300 Activists Converge on Cairo: We're Blocked But We Won't Be Stopped
After two Gaza Freedom March actions and meetings today were shut down by
Egyptian Police, over 1000 activists met outdoors tonight at Tahrir Square
(our indoor meeting permit had been cancelled earlier). We are told that no
buses will be allowed to leave Cairo with GFM participants headed for Gaza.
However, at 7am tomorrow morning we will be at the garage where we were
originally to depart from, ready to board buses to El Arish. Despite the
setbacks, spirits are high and activists are willing to do what it takes to
press for an end to the siege.

Vive la France!

The French Government has reportedly negotiated an agreement which will
allow some 250 French marchers to travel to the border and cross into Gaza.
Canadian participants are asking, "What about our government? Where is the
official support for our humanitarian mission?"
As different groups try diverse ways to get to Gaza and put pressure on
authorities to ease restrictions, one thing is certain- things will continue
to evolve quickly in the crowded, polluted chaos that is Cairo.